Fire in the Sky (FITS) is the Northwest's premier rocket launch. FITS 2017 will be held over Memorial Day weekend at the Sportsman Club in Mansfield, WA. This launch always attracts amazing rockets; from 1/2A to N motors, clusters, air starts, and multi-staged rockets, you'll find them flying at FITS.
The launch director for Fire in the Sky 2017 is Dale Woodford. If you have any questions that aren't answered by this page or comments you'd like to make, they can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Even if you've never flown a "big'un" before, bring your rockets out for the day or the weekend and have a fun, relaxing, and amazing time at Fire in the Sky 2017!
- Flight Information
- Liability Waivers
- Things to Bring
- Other Rules
As in years past, Fire in the Sky 2017 will be held at the Sportsman Club in beautiful Mansfield, WA.
Memorial Day Weekend, May 26th - 29th, 2017
- Friday, May 26th: 8:00AM - 7:00PM
- Saturday, May 27th: 8:00AM - 7:00PM
- Saturday, May 27th: 9:00PM night launch, special flight rules apply
- Sunday, May 28th: 8:00AM - 7:00PM
- Monday, May 29th: 8:00AM - noon
Friday will be conducted as a Tripoli research launch. Tripoli and NAR members, 18 years and older, can fly commercial motors up to their certification level. Tripoli members, level 2 or higher, can conduct research activities. Non-affiliated flyers and flyers younger than 18 years will be limited to the model and mid-power pads.
Saturday through Monday will be conducted as a NAR commercial launch.
- 8,000' AGL ceiling for flights from the racetrack and keyhole
- 14,000' AGL ceiling for flights from the away cell
- Simple "K", complex "J" impulse limit for flights from the racetrack
- Simple "M", complex "L" impulse limit for flights from the keyhole
- Simple "N", complex "M" impulse limit for flights from the away cell
While you don't need to register for Fire in the Sky, your check-in experience will be much more pleasant if you do. You can register using our online form. If you are a member that joined or renewed using our online membership form and you checked the "I plan to attend FITS" box, you are good to go.
- Washington Aerospace members and their families fly for free (join here)
- Non-member flyers: $40/weekend
- Non-member flyers and their families: $50/weekend
- Spectators: $10/weekend
- Spectators and their families: $20/weekend
In order to keep the lawyers happy, everybody that attends a Washington Aerospace launch must provide a signed copy of our liability waiver. If you joined the club, renewed your membership, or registered for Fire in the Sky online, your confirmation email will contain a link to a pre-populated liability waiver. All you need to do is print it, sign it, and bring it to the launch with you. If you can't find the email, you can create a new waiver by visiting our online waiver page. If you have already attended a Washington Aerospace launch in 2017 and delivered a waiver then, you are good to go.
Our launch site is owned by Washington State Department of Natural Resources (DNR). As part of our agreement with the DNR to use the land, all attendees must sign a DNR-specific liability waiver in addition to a Washington Aerospace liability waiver. Blank DNR waivers can be found at the links below.
- DNR adult liability waiver (you only need page 14 of 16)
- DNR minor (under 18 years old) liability waiver (you only need page 15 of 16)
We can't run this launch without your help. Please visit our volunteers page and sign up for a job or two.
Official Fire in the Sky 2017 apparel is available for pre-order. If you are interested in ordering, please check out the flyer from Bonnie Rosco.
What great launch would be complete without rocket vendors? The following businesses will be on-site serving your rocketry needs:
There will be plenty of opportunity to certify level 1 or level 2 at Fire in the Sky this year. Obviously, level 3 certification flights are also welcome, but we assume that you are already working through those details with your L3CC or TAP team.
Fire in the Sky will be a mix of Tripoli research (Friday) and NAR commercial (Saturday through Monday) launch days. Certifications through both TRA and NAR will be allowed.
If you would like to take a level 2 written exam, please contact the launch directors at email@example.com before arriving at the launch so that we are sure to have the necessary paperwork.
On-site food service will be provided by the Mansfield Booster Club. For details on service hours and menu please visit our menu page.
- There is plenty of room at the launch site for tent camping, trailers, RVs, and day parking
- Port-o-potties will be available on-site
- Showers will be available at Mansfield High School in the evenings for $2/shower
- There is also lots of full-featured lodging in the Mansfield area
In addition to your rockets and motors, there are a few things that you should consider bringing to the launch that will make your life a little easier.
- FRS radios - used for launch announcements and recovery coordination
- Sunscreen - it's going to be sunny; be prepared
- Bug repellent - hopefully you won't need it; be prepared
- Camping chairs - if you want to watch the action from the flight line (no bleachers this year)
This is a family event. Children of any age are welcome, however; they must be supervised by their parents or guardian. When children are present, please watch your language and conversation topics to keep them appropriate to the nearby audience.
We don't encourage pets at FITS. Dogs must be under their owners' immediate control in the camping area, through the launch control area, all the way out to the launch pads. Aggressive dogs will be confined by their owners' vehicle or campsite.
There shall be no alcohol consumption during flying hours. You are welcome to bring your own alcohol, but please use it in a controlled manner. No underage (under 21) alcohol consumption will be tolerated. This is illegal and, among other things, will void our insurance coverage.
No fireworks, period.